Position Description / Details
As a creative team, the Marketing and Communications department builds and promotes the excellent image of Peninsula College. We accomplish this by supporting effective communication, building and nurturing relationships, leading by example, sharing the Peninsula College story in new and interesting ways, and creating and developing a compelling and consistent image. The graphic designer is a vital team member for the department, providing both creativity and problem-solving while adhering to the college’s graphic identity standards. This position interacts with all departments and provides direct support for efforts related to the College’s overall mission and strategic plan.
Located in the northwest corner of the United States, Peninsula College is nestled in the foothills of the Olympic Mountains. The main campus in Port Angeles, Washington, overlooks the Strait of Juan de Fuca and the nearby city of Victoria, British Columbia, and has easy access to the Pacific Ocean, Olympic National Park, and Seattle. It is arguably the most beautiful community college setting in the United States. The region is also home to six Native American tribal reservations, which are dispersed across the North Olympic Peninsula.
As a public comprehensive community college with baccalaureate-granting authority, Peninsula College is highly regarded by businesses, schools, and community partners for its culture of innovation, high academic standards, and strategic vision. The College is part of the 34-college Washington State Community and Technical College System and is accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities.
The College serves more than 4670 students (1400 FTE) through its main campus and Port Townsend and Forks campuses, its correctional facilities, community education, and its online course offerings. The College community is vibrant, engaged, and known for its commitment to serving the diverse needs of the local communities across its 3,600 square mile service district.
The College culture is defined by its Guiding Principles and its shared governance model, which value respect, open and honest communication, integrity and collaboration. The College is a leader in the Guided Pathways work in Washington State, and is deeply engaged in creating institutional change to support this vision. The College is highly regarded as a warm and welcoming place. Click here for a video about Peninsula College.
- Under general supervision, the Graphic Designer:
- Coordinates, designs, and produces any and all marketing materials as needed by the college, including but not limited to: college publications, college catalog, brochures, print and digital ads, social media posts, posters, flyers, programs, invitations, rack cards, one-sheets, and other communication materials; enrollment, instruction, revenue enhancement materials, and a variety of college administration support materials.
- When designing materials, takes into account intended use, audience, cost estimates and distribution, and the project’s and department’s goals and objectives.
- Reflects current design trends within the scope of PC’s marketing and branding strategies targeting both internal and external audiences.
- Works both independently and collaboratively with the marketing team and interfaces with a variety of staff, faculty and administrators to develop and design communication materials and projects. In many cases, the graphic designer may serve as the department’s initial customer service contact for internal departments.
Duties of the position require the ability to
- Effectively handle a wide range of technical details.
- High degree of demonstrated experience with Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, and Acrobat.
- Use Microsoft Office applications.
- Take and edit digital photography.
- Stay current with new design technologies and developments; and recommend upgrades to department.
- Perform high-level work under pressure of tight timelines and balance multiple projects.
- Work long periods of time at computers.
- Provide excellent customer service aptitude and willingness.
Required Physical Abilities and environment
- Ability to work in an open office setting, using standard office equipment including a computer.
- Repetitive arm, hand and finger movement.
- Ability to work with frequent interactions and interruptions.
- Work under pressure and prioritize competing demands.
- Attend meetings on both campus and other off-site locations.
- Ability to read printed materials and computer screen.
- Ability to lift up to ten pounds and sit and/or stand for long periods of time.
- Ability to communicate in English both in person and through other appropriate means.
Required work schedule
18 hours per week during normal business hours. Remote work may be an option: weekly staff meeting remote attendance and regular in-person time would be required.
Required education or certificates
Two years of college-level training in graphic design or closely allied field AND one year of experience as a Graphics Assistant or designer in marketing, promotion or advertising fields, and demonstrated ability to design print and online advertising; OR equivalent education/experience.
- Starting salary: $17.15 per hour
- This position will be in a union shop bargaining unit at any time hours worked exceed 350 hours in any consecutive 12-month period. At the time hours exceed the 350-hour threshold, the employee will be required to become a member of the Washington Federation of State Employees or pay non-associate fees. Non-payment of such fees is grounds for dismissal.
- In compliance with the Immigration and Naturalization Act, proof of authorization to work in the United States will be required at the time of hire.
A complete application file will include:
- a college employment application,
- a letter of application addressing specific qualifications of this position,
- a current resume,
- link to portfolio website OR 5-7 samples,
- unofficial transcript of terminal degree, and
- three current professional references qualified to assess your experience and ability to perform the duties specified. Please include references’ email addresses and telephone numbers.
Link to: Online Application
Please upload the additional application documents on the last page of your application form prior to submission.
Application materials may be submitted by mail or email to:
1502 E. Lauridsen Blvd.
Port Angeles, WA 98362
Phone: (360) 417-6298
Applications submitted electronically will be accepted without signatures.
Peninsula College is an equal opportunity employer.