Position Description / Details
Under close supervision, this Position performs multiple duties relating to the maintenance of grounds, landscapes, and athletic fields. This position is also involved in litter control, recycling activities, and sprinkler irrigation/maintenance within a grounds maintenance program.
Located in the northwest corner of the United States, Peninsula College is nestled in the foothills of the Olympic Mountains. The main campus in Port Angeles, Washington, overlooks the Strait of Juan de Fuca and the nearby city of Victoria, British Columbia, and has easy access to the Pacific Ocean, Olympic National Park, and Seattle. It is arguably the most beautiful community college setting in the United States. The region is also home to six Native American tribal reservations, which are dispersed across the North Olympic Peninsula.
As a public comprehensive community college with baccalaureate-granting authority, Peninsula College is highly regarded by businesses, schools, and community partners for its culture of innovation, high academic standards, and strategic vision. The College is part of the 34-college Washington State Community and Technical College System and is accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities.
The College serves more than 4670 students (1400 FTE) through its main campus and Port Townsend and Forks campuses, its correctional facilities, community education, and its online course offerings. The College community is vibrant, engaged, and known for its commitment to serving the diverse needs of the local communities across its 3,600 square mile service district.
The College culture is defined by its Guiding Principles and its shared governance model, which value respect, open and honest communication, integrity and collaboration. The College is a leader in the Guided Pathways work in Washington State, and is deeply engaged in creating institutional change to support this vision. The College is highly regarded as a warm and welcoming place. Click here for a video about Peninsula College.
- Seeds, mows, irrigates, sweeps, fertilizes, top dresses, edges and maintains lawns.
- Plants, transplants, trims, and waters plants, trees, flowers and shrubs.
- Assists with or prepares soil for planting seed, sod, turf, plants, trees and shrubs.
- Uses a variety of manual tools and equipment, such as rakes, hand edger’s, loppers, shovels, wheelbarrows, weeding forks, hoes, pruning shears and pesticide sprayers.
- Assists in installation and repair of lawn sprinkler system components.
- May operate power and motorized equipment such as small trucks, lawn mowers, edger’s, chain saws, weed trimmers, backpack blowers and sweepers.
- Applies pesticides and herbicides to greenery and plant material.
- Assists in moving materials and supplies.
- Maintains, repairs, and adjusts pH balance of fountains.
- Maintains and grooms artificial turf on soccer field.
- Cleans repairs, maintains, and uses a variety of manual tools and equipment, such as rakes, pruning shears, hand edger’s, loppers, shovels, wheelbarrows and pesticide sprayers.
- Cleans, repairs, maintains, and operates power and motorized equipment such as weed trimmers, chain saws, backpack blowers, rototillers, light tractors, front-end loaders, small trucks, lawn mowers, sweepers, aerators, sod cutters and snow blowers.
- Operates and maintains vehicles; transports and disposes of refuse.
- Performs related duties or special projects as assigned.
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to follow written and/or oral instructions.
- Ability to speak clearly and comprehend written and spoken English.
- Ability to:
- Follow safety practices.
- Use and maintain equipment in good working order.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Maintains and reciprocates effective communications with faculty, staff, community members and the student population.
- Presents and displays a professional image providing tact, good judgment and skill while representing the college.
- Performs assigned tasks consistently and professionally.
- Delivers a product that can support and uphold a satisfactory evaluation at all times.
Required physical abilities:
- Able and willing to work at heights, move and relocate objects up to 60 pounds, work in adverse weather conditions such as rain, snow, and ice. Positions typically require the ability to perform heavy, outside work in inclement weather.
- Positions typically require graduation from high school or equivalent and at least two years’ experience working in grounds maintenance.
- Annual full time, classified position.
- Starting monthly salary: $2,173
- This position is in a union bargaining unit. As a condition of employment you must, within 30 days after appointment, become a member of the Washington State Federation of State Employees, or pay non-associate fees. Non-payment of such fee is grounds for dismissal.
- Excellent benefits package including medical, dental, life, and long-term disability insurance; paid vacation and sick leave; retirement plan options; optional credit union and tax deferred annuity programs. Peninsula College contributes $916.00 per month towards the cost of the Washington State employee insurance programs. The college also supports professional development.
- In compliance with the Immigration and Naturalization Act, proof of authorization to work in the United States will be required at the time of hire.
- Prior to a new hire, a background check including criminal record history will be conducted. Information from the background check will not necessarily preclude employment but will be considered in determining the applicant’s suitability and competence to perform in the position.
A complete application file will include:
- a college employment application,
- a letter of application addressing specific qualifications of this position,
- a current resume,
- three current professional references qualified to assess your experience and ability to perform the duties specified. Please include references’ email addresses and telephone numbers.
Link to: Online Application
Application materials may be submitted by mail or email to:
1502 E. Lauridsen Blvd.
Port Angeles, WA 98362
Phone: (360) 417-6298
Applications submitted electronically will be accepted without signatures.
Peninsula College is an equal opportunity employer.