Peninsula College will welcome a new Special Advisor to the President on Indigenous Affairs/Longhouse Director on April 15. Yolanda Machado, Makah, will be responsible for overseeing ʔaʔkʷustəŋáw̕tx House of Learning, Peninsula College Longhouse and all Peninsula College programs and initiatives related to Indigenous students and cultures. In concert with the Peninsula College President, Machado will serve as the central ambassador for Peninsula College in expanding and stewarding strong relationships with the six tribal nations the college serves: Hoh, Quileute, Makah, Port Gamble S’Klallam, Jamestown S’Klallam, and Lower Elwha Klallam.
"I'm excited to begin my position at Peninsula College and I look forward to working together to create educational opportunities and build bridges across cultures," Machado said.
She has over 20 years of experience in higher education providing comprehensive career, education, counseling, and intervention strategies to a diverse staff, faculty, and students. Most recently she served as the Assistant to the President for Tribal Relations at South Puget Sound Community College (SPSCC) in Olympia. She has also been a faculty/counselor at SPSCC since 1994, and previously served as an adult education instructor/counselor for the Nisqually Tribe and as the Director of Social and Health Services for the Quileute Tribe. She holds a Master’s degree in Education from Antioch University and a Bachelor’s degree in Psychology and Comparative Sociology from the University of Puget Sound.
The position was established under the Peninsula College Pathways to Achieving Equity and Completion (PACE) Project funded by a grant from the US Department of Education Strengthening Institutions Program. The total cost of the Peninsula College PACE Project is $2,762,938, with the US Department of Education funding 81% of total costs ($2,227,618), and Peninsula College contributing the remaining 19% ($535,320) of project costs through in-kind contributions.
For more information contact Sadie Crowe at firstname.lastname@example.org.