The Green Building program provides students with sufficient skills to construct, retrofit, manage and maintain buildings for the greatest energy efficiency. Instruction consists of classroom presentations and hands-on training in lab settings and in the building of a residential home. This program partners with the North Olympic Peninsula Builder Association, the Future Builders Program, the Construction Center of Excellence and the Clallam Historical Society.
The demand for carpenters with Green Building skills should increase over the next decade. A study conducted by the Washington State Employment Security Department notes that the building construction industry had, at the time of the study, the fourth highest number of green jobs (6,743) in the state.
The Green Building-Carpentry program offers courses in carpentry, woodworking, green building, construction leadership and alternative building materials that prepare students to construct, retrofit, manage and maintain buildings for the greatest energy efficiency. Instruction consists of classroom presentations and hands-on training in lab settings and in the building of a residential home.
Woodworking and Homebuilding is a cooperative program operated under an agreement with North Olympic Peninsula Skills Center. Operation of the program is contingent on the continuation of that agreement.
For current employment and wage estimates, please visit http://www.bls.gov/oes/ and search for the relevant occupational term.
- Use hand tools and power machinery safely
- Perform all aspects of basic carpentry
- Perform energy efficient tasks on a new residential structure
- Perform an energy analysis on an existing structure
- Research, plan, design and implement an energy efficient retrofit plan
- Develop and design a building retrofit that meets Leadership in Energy Environmental Design (LEED) and International Living Building Institute (ILBI) standards
Gainful Employment (GE) is a federal reporting and disclosure requirement for programs that prepare students for gainful employment in a recognized occupation. This information is provided in compliance with the U.S. Department of Education Gainful Employment Programs Disclosure regulations. Information will be regularly updated as new data becomes available.
In addition to our one-year certificate program, you can also earn three short-term certificates. They include:
- Basic Carpentry and Concrete Foundations
- Exterior and Interior Finish
- Short Term GRBD Urban Hmstd Carpentry Certificate.pdf
- Short Term GRBD Sustainable Agriculture and Food Systems Certificate.pdf
- Short Term GRBD Construction Leadership Certificate.pdf
- Short Term GRBD Green Building Certificate.pdf
- Short Term GRBD Cabinetry and Finish Carpentry Certificate.pdf
- Short Term GRBD Engineered Building Materials and Methods.pdf