Informational | Stop Sexual Harassment

Peninsula College recognizes its responsibilities for investigation, resolution, implementation of corrective measures, and monitoring the education environment and workplace to stop, remediate, and prevent discrimination, including sexual harassment.

Sexual harassment is conduct that:

  • Is sexual in nature,
  • Is unwelcome, and
  • Denies or interferes with education, employment, or access to college programs and activities.

Sexual harassment can take different forms. The conduct can be carried out by college employees, students, or visitors. Males and females can be victims of sexual harassment. The harasser and the victim can be of the same gender.

Sexual harassment also includes conduct that is criminal in nature, such as rape, sexual assault, dating violence, and sexually motivated stalking, bullying, or cyberbullying. The conduct can occur in any college program, event, or activity, on or off campus. The conduct can be physical, verbal, or nonverbal.  When unwelcome sexual conduct is serious enough or pervasive enough, it becomes sexual harassment.

Sexual Harassment may include:

  • Pressure for dates
  • Sexual phone calls, voice messages, texts, or emails
  • Making sexual propositions
  • Requests for sex in exchange for higher grades or favorable employment decisions
  • Leering, ogling, or staring
  • Touching of a sexual nature
  • Touching oneself sexually in front of others
  • Telling sexual or dirty jokes
  • Spreading sexual rumors

How can I take action?

  • Don’t ignore it. Pay attention to cues, comments, instincts, and experiences. Address unwanted contact immediately.
  • Say no. Tell the person that the conduct is unwanted. Tell them to stop it.
  • Tell someone. If you are a student, tell a teacher, a counselor, a college administrator, or the Human Resource Director. If you are an employee, tell your supervisor, a union representative, a college administrator, or the Human Resource Director. They will advise you of the college process.

Which college official is designated to coordinate compliance with federal laws concerning sexual harassment? The Director for Human Resources has oversight of the College’ s compliance with Title IX, the federal regulation that prohibits sexual harassment. The Human Resource Office is in the “C” Building and the Human Resource Director’s phone number is (360) 417-6212.

Where can I get help as a victim?

The Student Development Center provides professional, confidential, no-cost crisis counseling services to students. It is located in the Student Services Building-Building “D.” Call 360-417-6342 or 360-417-6576.
The Washington State Employee Assistance Program provides professional, confidential, and no-cost services to college employees. It is located at 1222 State Ave, NE., Suite 201, Olympia, WA 98504. The phone number is (360) 753-3260.

Does the College have an official grievance procedure?

Yes. The College has an official grievance procedure. It is titled #501.01 Non-Discrimination-Gender Equity Procedure. You can download and print the procedure and complaint form here. The form is also available in the Human Resource Office (Bldg C, Room 40).

Who should report?

Any person who believes that he or she has been the subject of discrimination or sexual harassment may file a complaint.

How does the College respond to a complaint?

The College takes any complaint about discrimination or sexual harassment very seriously and will investigate the complaint in a prompt, thorough, and impartial manner. The purpose of the investigation is to determine whether the discrimination or sexual harassment/violence occurred. The College respects the rights of both the complainant and the person(s) addressed in the complaint.

Depending on the facts of the situation, the College may proceed with actions consistent with its due process procedures, Office of Civil Rights guidance, personnel policies, collective bargaining agreements, and Student Rights and Responsibilities Code. While an investigation is under way and/or as part of its resolution, the College may takes steps to prevent the person(s) addressed in the complaint from contact with the complainant. If the behavior may be criminal, you have the right to file a criminal complaint. This will not delay the College in doing its own work to resolve the complaint promptly and equitably.

What about retaliation?

The College prohibits any form of retaliation against a complainant, a respondent, or a witness. Any allegation of retaliation will result in an immediate investigation and appropriate action to stop the retaliation.
What are some examples of retaliation? Retaliation is any adverse action taken because you complained or a person thinks you complained. For example:

  • Lowering your grade
  • Poor performance rating
  • Changing work duties or assignments
  • Exclusion from meetings
  • Not being called on in class
  • Change of work scheduled
  • Being threatened

Suppose drugs or alcohol are involved?

Sometimes people are afraid to complain about sexual harassment or violence because drugs or alcohol were involved. The College’s highest priority is your safety and the safety of everyone on campus. The use of alcohol or drugs never makes the victim at fault for sexual violence.

Do I have avenues off campus to file a complaint?

Yes, you can file sex discrimination complaints with:

  • Washington State Human Rights Commission
  • U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
  • U.S. Office for Civil Rights, Department of Education