Summary of Duties
- Mix clay and glazes as needed by the instructor
- Maintain a safe and clean studio environment
- Maintain proper Covid-19 health and safety practices in the studio (social distancing & wearing a mask when working within 6 feet of others)
- Oversee safe usage of tools and equipment
- Assist with the loading and unloading of kilns as needed by the instructor
Minimum Qualifications / Required Skills:
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds & work independently.
Preferred Qualifications / Skills (not required):
- Familiarity with ceramic materials and processes
- Ability to work weekdays, evenings, and weekends
Approximate Hours Per Week:
Up to 19 hours per week
Days and Hours Needed:
Days and times are flexible; most shifts will be for at least 3 hours and between the hours of 9am and 5pm.
Preferred Start Date:
Rate of Pay:
$18.20 / hour
E-Building (ground floor), Ceramics Studio
Steve Belz, SBelz@pencol.edu, 360-417-6537
Successful applicant must pass the required background check.
Per Governor Inslee’s Proclamation 21-14, state employees must be fully vaccinated no later than October 18, 2021. This applies to work study students as they are employees of the college. Your vaccine status will be verified. Please reach out to the HR Office at email@example.com if you need information on a medical or religious accommodation.
In keeping with the College's Guiding Principles, we seek to achieve the following learning outcomes for all student work study employees (where applicable):
1. Time Management/Organizational Skills: Student worker will demonstrate techniques for effective organization and task prioritization, and understand how time management affects his or her job performance and the ability of others to do their jobs, along with appropriate record keeping skills.
2. Professionalism: Student worker will understand expectations for professionalism in the workplace including language, dress, behavior, personal hygiene, and phone/email etiquette.
3. Customer Service: Student worker will be able to meet and exceed internal and external customer expectations by listening to customer needs, responding in a timely manner, and anticipating what a customer may need in the future or may need more information or clarification on in the present.
4. Teamwork/Collaboration: Student worker will work successfully in team settings which require flexibility, conflict management at lowest level of resolution possible, and cooperation.
5. Communication Skills: Student worker will communicate in a professional manner and understand the appropriate style of communication based on the audience and the setting or type of meeting.
6. Work Ethic: Student worker will understand the value of a strong work ethic, honesty, integrity, observance of health and safety standards, and the impact those values have on success in the workplace.
7. Critical Thinking/Problem Solving: Student worker will demonstrate the analytical ability to gather facts, suggest solutions, discern flaws in reasoning, and make decisions which are sound and timely.
8. Technology: Student worker will develop proficiency in common technology tools, including phone, email, online searches, Zoom or other online meeting platforms, Microsoft Office applications, and specific technology used in the student worker's job duties.
9. Upward Management Skills: Student worker will demonstrate competency on how to communicate needs, concerns, and requests to immediate supervisor and other managers.
10. Workplace Simulation Mastery: Student worker will learn how to receive and learn from feedback, importance of regular input to and from the supervisor, and the supervisor will perform genuine performance evaluations and exit interviews.