Summary of Duties
Employee performs semi-skilled work in preparing and cooking a variety of foodstuffs for a Market & Deli cafeteria. Work involves preparing and cooking a wide variety of foodstuffs, some of which may require special techniques and care to reduce costs and to serve properly.
- Participates in the routine preparation, cooking, and serving of food.
- Preparing ingredients beforehand, like cleaning and chopping the vegetables
- Operates standard cooking equipment such as mixers, steamers, toasters, choppers, ovens and stoves.
- Coordinates own activities with other cooks to have meals ready to serve at scheduled times.
- Follows standard recipes for food preparation; tests cooked foods to determine if properly cooked and seasoned.
- Assists in maintaining the kitchen and dining area and equipment and utensils in a safe and sanitary manner.
- Participates in kitchen cleaning work, such as washing and cleaning equipment.
- Evaluates cooking methods, times and temperatures to avoid over- or under-production.
- Receives food deliveries; stores items properly to prevent spoilage.
- Oversees proper sanitation of dishes and equipment and cleaning of work areas.
- Informs supervisor of problems involved with kitchen operations.
- Reviews all work products to ensure highest level of quality.
- Performs other duties of a similar or related level as necessary or assigned.
- Occasionally assists customers in merchandise selection and purchase; operates cash registers in retail and/or service operation.
- Performs other work as required.
Minimum Qualifications / Required Skills:
- Punctuality and dependability
- Communicate effectively
- Basic math skills
- Methods and procedures regarding food preservation; kitchen and dining area sanitation; use and care of equipment and utensils used in food preparation.
- WA State Food Worker card
- Comply with laws and regulations governing food preparation.
- Handle stressful situations in a professional manner, including angry or difficult customers.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships
- Prepare quantities of drinks required with a minimum of waste.
- Maintain kitchen, dining areas, kitchen utensils and equipment in a sanitary manner.
- Ability to lift and/or carry 50 pounds
- Previous cashier experience
- Customer service experience
Approximate Hours Per Week:
up to 19 hours
Days and Hours Needed:
To be determined
Preferred Start Date:
Rate of Pay:
$15.89 / hour
Bookaneer Market & Deli, J-Building
Josh Wilson, JWilson@pencol.edu, 360-417-6430
Per Governor Inslee’s Proclamation 21-14, state employees must be fully vaccinated no later than October 18, 2021. This applies to work study students as they are employees of the college. Your vaccine status will be verified. Please reach out to the HR Office at firstname.lastname@example.org if you need information on a medical or religious accommodation.
Prior to a new hire, a background check including criminal record history will be conducted. Information from the background check will not necessarily preclude employment but will be considered in determining the applicant’s suitability and competence to perform in the position.
In keeping with the College's Guiding Principles, we seek to achieve the following learning outcomes for all student work study employees (where applicable):
1. Time Management/Organizational Skills: Student worker will demonstrate techniques for effective organization and task prioritization, and understand how time management affects his or her job performance and the ability of others to do their jobs, along with appropriate record keeping skills.
2. Professionalism: Student worker will understand expectations for professionalism in the workplace including language, dress, behavior, personal hygiene, and phone/email etiquette.
3. Customer Service: Student worker will be able to meet and exceed internal and external customer expectations by listening to customer needs, responding in a timely manner, and anticipating what a customer may need in the future or may need more information or clarification on in the present.
4. Teamwork/Collaboration: Student worker will work successfully in team settings which require flexibility, conflict management at lowest level of resolution possible, and cooperation.
5. Communication Skills: Student worker will communicate in a professional manner and understand the appropriate style of communication based on the audience and the setting or type of meeting.
6. Work Ethic: Student worker will understand the value of a strong work ethic, honesty, integrity, observance of health and safety standards, and the impact those values have on success in the workplace.
7. Critical Thinking/Problem Solving: Student worker will demonstrate the analytical ability to gather facts, suggest solutions, discern flaws in reasoning, and make decisions which are sound and timely.
8. Technology: Student worker will develop proficiency in common technology tools, including phone, email, online searches, Zoom or other online meeting platforms, Microsoft Office applications, and specific technology used in the student worker's job duties.
9. Upward Management Skills: Student worker will demonstrate competency on how to communicate needs, concerns, and requests to immediate supervisor and other managers.
10. Workplace Simulation Mastery: Student worker will learn how to receive and learn from feedback, importance of regular input to and from the supervisor, and the supervisor will perform genuine performance evaluations and exit interviews.