SPRING 2022 APPLICATION DUE DATE EXTENDED TO MARCH 8, 2022
The Emergency Medical Technician-Basic course is an entry-level course to the Emergency Medical Service (EMS) profession. This course will focus on: EMT roles and responsibilities, airway management, patient assessment, medical and trauma emergencies, anatomy and physiology, documentation, lifting and moving, and communications. The course also includes practical labs and a total of 10 hours of clinical experience in the Emergency Department to provide direct hands-on experience with a variety of patients. Upon successful completion of this course, students will receive an EMT Program Certificate of Completion, are prepared to fulfill the National Registry exam requirements for certification, and are eligible for state certification.
The program is designed for those who will be involved in the delivery of emergency medical pre-hospital care, such as ambulance service, fire department, National Park Service, search-and-rescue, and other agencies. NOTE: Active affiliation with an EMS provider agency is required for state certification. The course may be taken without affiliation; however, students will not obtain state certification without being affiliated.
Interested students need to be 18 years old, have a high school diploma or GED, and have a current Health Care Provider CPR card. A program application and Washington state background check (included with application) must be completed prior to admittance into this course.
- Recognize the nature and seriousness of a patient’s condition or extent of injuries to assess requirements for emergency medical care;
- Administer appropriate emergency medical care based on assessment findings of the patient’s condition;
- Lift, move, position and otherwise handle a patient to minimize discomfort and prevent further injury;
- Perform safely and effectively the expectations of the EMT job description.
There are two steps to enrolling in the EMT class.
1. Apply to Peninsula College.
2. Apply to the EMT program by filling out the EMT Class Application linked below.