The recent economic downturn has resulted in a significant increase in drug-and-alcohol problems not only on the Olympic Peninsula, but elsewhere as well. Locally, agencies have prepared programs to meet these needs, but trained counselors are in short supply. In addition, chemical dependency counselors are now required to have a more extensive educational background than ever before, adding to the problem. This is where Peninsula College can help.
Our two-year Associate of Applied Science Degree Program and our short-term proficiency certificates in Addiction Studies provide the means for individuals to meet these new educational standards as well as those of an expanding community drug-and-alcohol counseling effort. When you enroll in our program, your course of study will include courses in counseling, case management, psychology, sociology, ethics, law, physiology, and internships in a variety of work environments. Entrance to the program begins in fall or winter quarter.
In Our Program, Students Will Learn to:
- Identify basic facts on addiction and effects on individual, family, and society; chemical dependency theory and therapy models; and dynamics of teenage substance abuse.
- Gain an understanding of effects of alcohol and drugs on the body.
- Maintain accurate case management records.
- Utilize knowledge of state laws and court procedures regarding alcohol/drug offenses.
- Apply basic counseling skills in a therapeutic setting.
- Explore dynamics of a chemically dependent family.
- Recognize the relapse process and its impact on recovery and family-of-origin issues.
- Examine ethical principles and rules of conduct for the chemical dependency counselor.
- Address cultural awareness as it relates to working with others.
- Addiction Studies
- Administrative Office Systems
- Automotive Technology
- Business Administration
- Commercial Driver's License
- Advanced Manufacturing - Composites Technology
- Computer Applications Technology
- Criminal Justice
- Cybersecurity & Computer Forensics
- Early Childhood Education
- Emergency Medical Technician
- Entrepreneurship Program
- Food Service Management
- Green Building
- Homeland Security | Emergency Management
- Information Technology
- Medical Assisting
- Multimedia Communications
- Nursing Assistant Certificate