F-1 students who are in-status and are not on academic probation are allowed to work on campus.
- Students may work up to 19.5 hours per week when classes are in session and up to 40 hours a week during academic breaks and vacation quarters.
- New students may receive work authorization after registration and tuition is paid in full.
- If you are offered a job on campus, visit the International Programs office to verify your eligibility and get assistance with preparing your SSN application packet. Visit the Social Security office to get a Social Security number (information available at International Programs).
- Complete an employment packet at Human Resources office (C Building).
Off –Campus Employment
- Employment off-campus is NOT permitted unless approved by USCIS under very limited circumstances.
Optional Practical Training (OPT)
- OPT is paid a work experience directly related to the student’s field of study approved by USCIS. F-1 students who are in-status, and have completed a degree or certificate program are eligible to apply for OPT. Schedule an appointment with an ISFS advisor to apply up to 60 days before your end of program date.
- Twelve months of OPT can be granted after completing a degree or a certificate.