Sign up for a Running Start Information Session
Have questions? Join us for an info session on Zoom, or at our Forks campus, to learn how to enroll in Running Start program.
- Info Session, Tuesday, June 7 on Zoom
- Info Session, Tuesday, June 7 at Forks campus
- Info Session, Monday, August 15 on Zoom
It's not too late to enroll in Running Start for fall 2022.
Registration is open until the first day of the quarter. To get started, check the Assessment & Placement Center webpage for information about alternative placements and testing options.
What is Running Start?
If you’re an academically motivated high school junior or senior, you may be able to take college courses tuition free, earning credit for both high school and college.
Washington State’s Running Start Program, allows juniors and seniors enrolled at public high schools to enroll in college courses for both high school and college credit.
- Tuition is covered up to 15 credits per quarter as long as the combined course load between the college and high school stays below 1.2 FTE.
- Enroll in a combination of classes at Peninsula College and the high school or take classes only at the college.
- Students with combined high school and college schedules that exceed 1.2 FTE during any college quarter must pay college tuition on the additional credits.
The Running Start Program pays the tuition and students are responsible to pay the fees. Students who qualify for the free or reduced lunch program at their high school may qualify for a waiver, contact the High School Programs Manager for further information.
These classes can not only help meet your high school graduation requirements, but they also go on your permanent academic transcript and can count toward your college or university degree.
By participating in Running Start, you can get a head start on your college education, decrease the amount of time you spend in school, make a smoother transition to college and reduce educational costs for yourself and your family.
College credits are transferable to colleges and universities in the state of Washington, according to the guidelines established by individual institutions. Transfer credit may vary when applying to out-of-state colleges and universities.
Read about Running Start graduates
- Sarah and Ryan McCarthey, who own and operate the Dungeness Valley Creamery.
- Sydney Roberts, who is attending medical school.
Cindy Lauderback, Manager of High School Programs
Toll-free: 1 (877) 452-9277, Ext. 6341
Port Townsend Branch