What is it?
The 1098-T Tuition Statement form is used for informational purposes to help students and parents determine if they are eligible for an education tax credit. The form shows the amount of tuition and fees paid directly to the college during the calendar year. Please refer to the IRS Publication 970 or IRS Publication 5197 for more information on education tax credits.
When is the form available?
1098-T forms will be available by January 31.
Who is eligible to receive a 1098-T form?
A form will be generated and sent to the student if:
- You, your dependent or a third party paid qualified education expenses for higher education, and
- The student was enrolled at an eligible educational institution, and
- That eligible student is yourself, your spouse or a dependent you list on your tax return.
Who is NOT eligible to receive a 1098-T form?
- International students
- Students enrolled in non-credit courses
- Students whose tuition and fees were fully paid for on their behalf through financial aid (grants, scholarships, loans, etc.) or through a third party such as their employer or a government agency (Dept. of Veteran Affairs, Labor and Industries, etc.)
How to obtain your 1098-T
Students can choose to receive their 1098-T form electronically by consenting online through their ctcLink student portal (Student Homepage), in the Financial Account tile. Within the Financial Account tile, select the 1098-T menu option and click View 1098-T. You must click the Grant Consent button and mark the checkbox to provide your consent, then click Submit. You will then have the option to view the form or download it (if you are eligible for a 1098-T.)
If you have not consented to receive your form electronically, it will be mailed to the address the college has on-file for you (the address in your ctcLink student portal) if you are eligible to receive one.
How do I know if I am eligible for an education tax credit?
You can use the Interactive Tax Assistant tool on the IRS website to see if you can claim a credit on your taxes. For additional assistance, please consult with your tax advisor or contact the IRS. The college cannot determine your eligibility for a credit nor help with the calculation of the credit amount.
If you have questions about the availability of your 1098-T, please contact the Business Office at 360-417-6232 or email BOffice@pencol.edu.