Applying for financial aid is a process that should be started as soon as possible. We ask that ALL degree and certificate seeking students apply for financial aid, even if you think you aren't eligible because of income, etc. There are BILLIONS of dollars in federal grant money left unclaimed each year by those who were eligible to apply for it, but did not apply. You can work on your financial aid file at the same time as you are completing other College application requirements.
There's an app for that! The FAFSA can now be completed on your mobile device using the U.S. Department of Education's myStudentAid application.
Text your FAFSA questions: The FAFSA assistance chatbot can help you complete the FAFSA by answering your questions and giving you guidance through text messages on your cellphone. To get started, text "2020" to 267-578-3020 to opt in. You can opt out at any time by texting "stop." (www.GetFAFSAhelp.org/cb2020)
Before you apply for financial aid:
- New students and those who have not attended within the last two years are required to complete an admission application. Admission is free, and the application can be completed online here: Online Admissions Application
- Make sure the College has you signed up for the correct degree or certificate you intend to complete. If you need assistance, please call Enrollment Services/Pirate Central at (360) 417-6340.
- Meet the Federal financial aid requirements for eligibility for the FAFSA, or meet the State financial aid requirements for eligibility for the WASFA.
Financial Aid Priority Consideration Dates:
|Desired Start Quarter:||Quarter Begins||Complete Financial Aid File
|Spring 2021 (2020-21 FAFSA)||April 5, 2021||March 1, 2021|
|Summer 2021 (2021-22 FAFSA)||July 6, 2021||May 14, 2021|
|Fall 2021 (2021-22)||September 27, 2021||July 30, 2021|
|Winter 2022 (2021-22)||January 4, 2022||December 1, 2021|
|Spring 2022 (2021-22)||April 5, 2022||March 1, 2022|
Steps to Applying for Aid:
1. Complete your 2020-2021 FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)
- We recommend you submit your FAFSA at least 2 months prior to the financial aid file completion priority deadline (above) for the quarter you plan to enroll. A new FAFSA is required every academic year. Late applications will processed as early as possible.
- Your FAFSA must be submitted to the Federal Processor.
- Peninsula College's federal school code is 003786.
- You must first apply for admission to Peninsula College before your application can be received by PC (if you are a new student.)
What happens after you complete your FAFSA:
- A copy of your FAFSA will be sent to Peninsula College.
- in about 1 week if you submit your FAFSA via the web (recommended)
- in approximately 6 weeks if you submit a paper FAFSA
- The Federal Processor will send you a Student Aid Report (SAR) or a SAR Information Acknowledgement. The SAR is simply a transcript of the answers you provided to the questions on the FAFSA, and allows you to review those answers and submit a correction if needed. If you provide a valid e-mail address on the FAFSA, your SAR will be emailed to you.
WASFA Applicants: State law has expanded eligibility for the Washington College Grant (previously known as the WA State Need Grant) to low-income, non-U.S. citizen students who meet the program’s eligibility requirements and satisfy the WA State residency criteria. For more information and to apply by completing the WASFA (WA Application for State Financial Aid) go to www.ReadySetGrad.wa.gov/wasfa.
2. Complete Your Financial Aid File
After we receive a copy of your FAFSA or WASFA, we will notify you via email to login to your ctcLink financial aid Portal where you can download the documents required to complete your financial aid file.
- Your ctcLink student account will list any documents (To-Do List items) we need from you and what (if any) additional actions you must take.
- You must complete ALL required actions listed in your ctcLink account on or before the priority deadline date. Late applications will be processed as early as possible.
- Financial aid files are reviewed in the order they are completed; it is best to complete your file as soon as possible.
- To receive financial aid, you may be required to take additional steps or meet certain conditions. It is your responsibility to read all information listed on our website and any related information that may be provided to you by the Financial Aid Office or Peninsula College.
3. Review Your Financial Aid Status
After we have reviewed your financial aid file and awarded aid, you will be able to view your financial aid awards in your ctcLink student account in the "Financial Aid" tile. If you were not found eligible for aid, you will be immediately notified by the Financial Aid Office via email, and given intructions on how you may regain eligibility if possible.
For those who are awarded financial aid, please note:
- All financial aid funds (grants, loans, scholarships) will be applied towards tuition and fees first; any leftover funds will be issued as a refund to you through BankMobile if the source of aid is refundable to the student.
- The amount of grant aid you are awarded may decrease if you are enrolled less than full-time (12 credits.) See the "Adding/Dropping Classes" webpage for more info.
- Loans require a separate application form, available here. Loans can only be awarded after your financial aid file is completed and reviewed for aid eligibility. You must be in 6 or more credits to be eligible for loans. For more info on loans, please visit the "Student Loans" webpage.