Summary of Duties
- Assists customers in merchandise selection and purchase; operates cash registers in retail and/or service operation.
- Respond to all inquiries by customers in person, phone, web, or email, determine customer needs, and assist or direct customers to appropriate personnel. Process online orders for in store pickup or delivery. Serve as relief cashier.
- Maintain and ensure stock levels are adequate to meet customer demand; serve as backup to textbook buyer for ordering of textbook materials.
- May receive merchandise in the Inventory Control Systems, price and distribute the merchandise to the appropriate area.
- Arranges supplies and merchandise on shelves and in displays.
- Check accuracy of prices and tag merchandise on sales floor.
- Take part in conducting the annual physical inventory and serve as a primary member of inventory crew.
- Assist in processing merchandise returns and prepare them for shipping, ensure all items are packed properly. Prepare UPS for shipping.
- May open and close store; verify refunds conducted by student cashiers; conduct end of shift cash counts of registers to verify student cashier accuracy in money handling.
- May assist in preparation of cash receipts for bank deposit, daily cash reports, balance and reconcile daily cash, check, and credit card receipts, examine and resolve any out-of-balance problems. Count safe and order change as needed.
Minimum Qualifications / Required Skills:
- Punctuality and dependability.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written. This includes the ability to speak clearly and fully comprehend written and spoken English and to communicate clearly with native and non-native English speakers. Work is typically performed in a setting which requires standing and/or sitting for extended periods.
- Previous cashier experience
- Customer service experience
Approximate Hours Per Week:
Days and Hours Needed:
To be determined
Preferred Start Date:
Rate of Pay:
$15.50 / hour
Bookaneer Bookstore, J-Building
Christina Wonsey, CWonsey@pencol.edu, 360-417-6439
Per Governor Inslee’s Proclamation 21-14, state employees must be fully vaccinated no later than October 18, 2021. This applies to work study students as they are employees of the college. Your vaccine status will be verified. Please reach out to the HR Office at email@example.com if you need information on a medical or religious accommodation.
Prior to a new hire, a background check including criminal record history will be conducted. Information from the background check will not necessarily preclude employment but will be considered in determining the applicant’s suitability and competence to perform in the position.
In keeping with the College's Guiding Principles, we seek to achieve the following learning outcomes for all student work study employees (where applicable):
1. Time Management/Organizational Skills: Student worker will demonstrate techniques for effective organization and task prioritization, and understand how time management affects his or her job performance and the ability of others to do their jobs, along with appropriate record keeping skills.
2. Professionalism: Student worker will understand expectations for professionalism in the workplace including language, dress, behavior, personal hygiene, and phone/email etiquette.
3. Customer Service: Student worker will be able to meet and exceed internal and external customer expectations by listening to customer needs, responding in a timely manner, and anticipating what a customer may need in the future or may need more information or clarification on in the present.
4. Teamwork/Collaboration: Student worker will work successfully in team settings which require flexibility, conflict management at lowest level of resolution possible, and cooperation.
5. Communication Skills: Student worker will communicate in a professional manner and understand the appropriate style of communication based on the audience and the setting or type of meeting.
6. Work Ethic: Student worker will understand the value of a strong work ethic, honesty, integrity, observance of health and safety standards, and the impact those values have on success in the workplace.
7. Critical Thinking/Problem Solving: Student worker will demonstrate the analytical ability to gather facts, suggest solutions, discern flaws in reasoning, and make decisions which are sound and timely.
8. Technology: Student worker will develop proficiency in common technology tools, including phone, email, online searches, Zoom or other online meeting platforms, Microsoft Office applications, and specific technology used in the student worker's job duties.
9. Upward Management Skills: Student worker will demonstrate competency on how to communicate needs, concerns, and requests to immediate supervisor and other managers.
10. Workplace Simulation Mastery: Student worker will learn how to receive and learn from feedback, importance of regular input to and from the supervisor, and the supervisor will perform genuine performance evaluations and exit interviews.