Summary of Duties
- Provide regular office hour support that includes:
- Opening the Veterans Center and manning the center with pre-established hours
- Engage with Veteran students to provide assistance when possible
- Assist Veterans Club President, VetCorps Navigator and Student Success Navigator with Veterans Club meetings as needed.
- Assist VetCorps Navigator and Student Success Navigator with learning opportunities, workshops, speakers and other Veterans Center and Retention activities as needed.
- Clerical duties as required.
- Use of Microsoft Office products, including PowerPoint, Excel, Word, Outlook
- Computer skills with Microsoft Office products
- Congenial (people person)
- General office cleanup
Background Check Required:
Prior to a new hire, a background check including criminal record history will be conducted. Information from the background check will not necessarily preclude employment but will be considered in determining the applicant’s suitability and competence to perform in the position.
Hours per week:
- 12 – 19 hours per week
- Must be able to work a minimum of 3 hours per shift
Days/Hours of the week:
- Tues thru Fri; able to work around student schedule but must be coordinated
- Prefer to work 3 – 4 days per week
Rate of Pay:
$16.61 / hour
Office Location on Campus:
Port Angeles main campus, Veterans Center in Student Services (D-building)
Preferred Start Date:
Other Details about the Position:
This is a brand new position, so duties could evolve.
In keeping with the College's Guiding Principles, we seek to achieve the following learning outcomes for all student work study employees (where applicable):
1. Time Management/Organizational Skills: Student worker will demonstrate techniques for effective organization and task prioritization, and understand how time management affects his or her job performance and the ability of others to do their jobs, along with appropriate record keeping skills.
2. Professionalism: Student worker will understand expectations for professionalism in the workplace including language, dress, behavior, personal hygiene, and phone/email etiquette.
3. Customer Service: Student worker will be able to meet and exceed internal and external customer expectations by listening to customer needs, responding in a timely manner, and anticipating what a customer may need in the future or may need more information or clarification on in the present.
4. Teamwork/Collaboration: Student worker will work successfully in team settings which require flexibility, conflict management at lowest level of resolution possible, and cooperation.
5. Communication Skills: Student worker will communicate in a professional manner and understand the appropriate style of communication based on the audience and the setting or type of meeting.
6. Work Ethic: Student worker will understand the value of a strong work ethic, honesty, integrity, observance of health and safety standards, and the impact those values have on success in the workplace.
7. Critical Thinking/Problem Solving: Student worker will demonstrate the analytical ability to gather facts, suggest solutions, discern flaws in reasoning, and make decisions which are sound and timely.
8. Technology: Student worker will develop proficiency in common technology tools, including phone, email, online searches, Zoom or other online meeting platforms, Microsoft Office applications, and specific technology used in the student worker's job duties.
9. Upward Management Skills: Student worker will demonstrate competency on how to communicate needs, concerns, and requests to immediate supervisor and other managers.
10. Workplace Simulation Mastery: Student worker will learn how to receive and learn from feedback, importance of regular input to and from the supervisor, and the supervisor will perform genuine performance evaluations and exit interviews.